Cheney Middle School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) students spent four days in Bellevue from April 10 to 13 competing against 1,500 students across the state at the FBLA State Business Leadership Conference (SBLC). This is the seventh year CMS FBLA has competed at SBLC and were one of the only six middle schools in the state to compete against both middle school and high school students and our chapter had fantastic results!
Our chapter had 15 middle school students in 7th and 8th grade attend and compete at the conference. Out of our competitors, 12 different students placed within the top 10 in their events a total of 19 times. Cheney Middle School brought home three 1st place trophies with students qualifying for nationals and six 2nd place trophies.
Our Community Service Project (Middle Level) team (Meilyn Dotson, Landon Moad, and Audrey Schlotter) placed 1st in the State at the middle level, qualifying for nationals, with their project providing the first event Eastern Leadership Academy (ELA) for middle school students at ESD101 in March. Students left the ELA event with many ideas about how to include others and create a more inviting climate in their schools. In addition, this team also competed in the Community Service Project event at the high school level and placed 10th in the state.
Six students placed 1st in their middle level events earning automatic entry to the FBLA National Conference in San Antonio, TX this summer between June 29 and July 2.
Highlights for the Cheney Middle School chapter at the conference included:
- Our Community Service Project team placed 1st in Community Service Project (Middle Level), advancing to Nationals, and 10th in Community Service Project at the high school level
- Halley Doney and Rubie Loughery placed 1st in Critical Thinking, advancing to nationals
- Elijah Aguilera placed 1st in Multimedia and Website Development, advancing to nationals
- Elijah Aguilera and Conner Barsness placed 1st in Creative Money Making (State-Only Event)
- Elijah Aguilera placed in all four of his competitive events
I have included a list of the students who placed, their place, and their event.